Thursday, February 3, 2011

Black Bean Hummus

For some, hummus is an acquired taste, but my girls LOVE it and Austin is starting to come around. I used to just buy hummus at the store until I realized how easy it was to make. Then my SIL gave me this yummy recipe for black beans instead of chickpeas (garbonzo beans).
We use it as a veggie dip...Elena calls it her "Jumping Vegetable Dip" cause she thinks that after she eats it with her veggies it helps her jump higher:) Silly girl...at least she eats it right?
Ingredients:
1 clove of garlic
1 15-ounce can black beans, drain and reserve liquid
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons tahini (sesame paste)
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Mince garlic in food processor (or use pre-minced garlic). Add black beans, 2 Tbsp. reserved liquid, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper. Blend until smooth. Add paprika for garnish.
My adjustments: I didn't use tahini, simply because I didn't have it on hand but it still tasted great. If you choose not to use the lidquid from the beans, you can use olive oil instead. It's just to give it a smooth consistancy.
Happy Healthy Eating!!!
~Kara

4 comments:

  1. This looks great! Where do I find sesame paste? Would it be in the Asian section at Walmart you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha. Never mind. :) Guess I should read the whole thing first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiff- I've actually never bought it but yes my SIL says it's in the asian isle and it's sort of "peanut butter-ish" Hope that helps:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara! I made this today. It was so yummy. Ryan and I couldn't stop eating it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete